Our wonderful moon can be a great way to use her energies. Our moon is all about reflection as the moon reflects the light of the sun. Following the cycle of the moon can help us harness its energy to aid your life, goals, dreams and relationships. Self reflection can encourage self discovery.
The moon moves through its own cycle every 28 days. Generally as the moon gets bigger (waxes) we develop and as it gets smaller (wanes) we tend to release things. The moon represents our emotional essence, the feminine within us, our yin energy along with our creativity and intuition. How and what you feel will bring more manifestation into your life. By changing your thoughts you can change your emotions. Keeping a diary alongside the moon’s cycle will aid you to choose thoughts and feelings that you wish to have to help you manifest the life you desire.
There are 2 phases to the moon’s 28 day cycle: waxing and waning. The waxing cycle is when the moon increases in size. This cycle begins on the new moon and lasts until the third day of the full moon. The waning cycle is where the moon decreases in size and starts on the third day of the full moon and ends on the new moon.
Each individual phase is divided into four quarters: new moon, first quarter, full moon and third quarter. Each quarter has a different energy and can be best suited to certain activities, rituals and intentions.
Some suggestions for each significant phase of the moon cycle:
- New moon – set intentions and listen to your intuition. Allow new ideas to form.
- Waxing crescent – allow yourself to be curious and to get excited about new possibilities
- First quarter – develop new ideas, take action and build with momentum.
- Waxing gibbous – make improvements and refine things.
- Full moon – celebrating your progress in what you’re doing.
- Waning gibbous – share with others, reflect on things and teach.
- Third quarter – take note of where you are in life. Release and find room to let things go.
- Waning crescent – find your inner silence so you can hear your intuition. Rest and restore yourself.
Note down how you feel through the moon’s cycle. You may notice a pattern forms. As certain times of the cycle you may feel more creative, if so use that time to make and do. There may be times you feel extremely emotional, then take time for you. You may feel more energetic then use that energy in the best way for you. Begin a moon diary and add in your monthly cycle along with your moods as well as your physical attributes.
You can find books on the moon about rituals and spells and when the best time would be to carry them out.
Every month has a full moon. Each calendar year has one blue moon which is where there are two full moons.
Each moon has a common and uncommon name:
- January, common – wolf moon, uncommon – chaste moon
- February, common – ice moon, uncommon – hunger moon
- March, common – storm moon, uncommon – worm moon
- April, common – growing moon, uncommon – pink moon
- May, common – hare moon, uncommon – milk moon
- June, common – mead moon, uncommon – dyad moon
- July, common – hay moon, uncommon – wort moon
- August, common – corn moon, uncommon – dispute moon
- September, common – harvest moon, uncommon – vine moon
- October, common – blood moon, uncommon – shedding moon
- November, common – snow moon, uncommon – tree moon
- December, common – cold moon, uncommon – oak moon
The moon has some wonderful energies that can help you achieve what you would like in life. Well worth finding out more and manifesting your life’s desires.
If you keep a moon diary please share how it has helped and how you have used it. Feel free to ask any questions and share your thoughts.